Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Casteism: Does it still exists in our generation

This is frankly a shocking thing happened to me last week. I was chatting on a site when I met a girl. She was from Noida itself and pursuing her MBA from some Gaziabad college. After usual stuff of introduction, she asked me whats your full name. I asked directly, "Do you want to know my caste?" She didnt reply. Then I said "I am ambedkar". For those who dont know ambedkars are un-touch ables who used to do dirty jobs of collecting garbage's etc in last decades. Now she replied "Bye". I was so surprised. This was first case of Caste ism happened to me on a virtual world. I asked her, "So if I am an un-touchable, you will not even chat to me on a virtual site leave alone sitting with me in class? What kind of thinking you have?" Now she came in defensive mode saying " I hate mayawati and her policies so I hate ambedkars." Which is just a nonsense excuse. Then I took a leave from her and logged out.
But that made me think about the deep roots of this caste ism in us. What if she after doing her MBA joins a company as HR executive who plays key role in selection of candidates. With this mindset, she will never appreciate the potential of a candidate if he/she belongs to some lower caste. If a young girl of our generation has such thought process, what about our last generation where such thoughts were so much deep rooted. People with such hatred and paranoid about schedule castes, that too in most of higher positions of power and selection, will never allow any candidate to enter though he/she is capable for that.
Doesnt this justifies RESERVATIONS. If we, at upper castes, are being un fair to them because of our inherent thoughts, why not they should use some unfair means like RESERVATIONS to reach equal to us? What do you guys say..

No comments: